When it comes to technical trail footwear there’s no brand that matches Salomons ability to produce lightweight, feature packed trainers, boots and shoes designed for the high and rugged hills.
Dedicated to mountain sports and outdoor pursuits Salomon are ever trying to develop faster, lighter footwear, clothing and gear. Today Salomon is a huge, global brand with a huge range of outdoor gear: Footwear, clothing, bags and packs, protective helmets and googles, and Alpine, Nordic and snowboarding equipment.
The OUTline Mid GTX have a simplistic, no frills design and look more like a trainer than a mountain boot which initially put me off as I like to physically see the features before I can feel them in action. I want to know exactly what I am going to get and what a boot is going to do for me before I commit to the purchase!
For the Feature Fanatics – What’s this boot made of?
It can be hard choosing between Leather or Material walking boots but these textile beauties may just be the feature packed hiking boots that you are after. Weighing in at only 345g these are great for the minimal weight fanatics – and if you’re anything like me and don’t like that weighty foot feeling as you set of on your walk then you will want to try these out!
They have an OrthoLite lining and GoreTex membrane which makes them 100% waterproof and extremely cushioned and comfortable underfoot. These technical walking boots have soul in the sole with an injected EVA midsole and a contagrip outsole giving you stability and grip when out on the unpredictable terrain.
Recently a group of us from e-Outdoor took a trip to Snowdon and on Rock, Slag, Gravel, Mud, Slippery wet Rocks and even snow these boots held firm to every surface which gave me huge confidence when conditions took a turn for the worse.
The Salomon OUTline GTX Walking boot ready does have all the lightness and flexibility of a trainer but the support and grip of a technical hiking boot you need when taking on a challenging route. Not a fan of boots? Take a look at the Salomon OUTline Shoes instead.
Why buy the Salomon OUTline Mid GTX Hiking boot?
So what are the top 5 things that meant I wanted to buy these boots?
- Breathability of these boots is certainly something you won’t find in many technical walking boots. I hate sweaty feet and often find with thick walking socks and a hard walk my feet start to get clammy – well not with these boots!
- Break in time is minimal – I wore these brand new on a walk up the Pyg and down the Miners tracks, Snowdon, Wales and they didn’t rub, chaff or give me any blisters – which for me is unusual as I have a wide forefoot (ball) and narrow hindfoot (heel and ankle).
- If you want SuperLightWeight but still retaining all of the features of a heavy technical walking boot then these are for you! I could barely feel them on my feet but certainly felt all of the benefits these technical midheight boots had on offer.
- Traction is key when you are a happy hiker who loves to get out on all terrain and in all weather. These boots hold their own on different surface types whilst remaining comfortable, shock absorbing and supportive of your foot inside.
- Stay dry for longer as these boots are 100% Waterproof with their GTX membrane. Whether you’re planning rainy walks, river walks, damp summit experiences or just not sure of the weather these boots will keep your toes dry all day long.
Performance Ratings – as voted for by me!
Overall Fit: ★★★★★
This Salomon OUTline GTX Walking boot is superb – one of the most lightweight and comfortable technical boots I have ever worn. Be sure to Like this Post and Subscribe to our Blog for latest Product Reviews and if you want to know any more information that has not been covered leave us a comment! Click to see more Salomon Footwear here at e-OUTDOOR